Sunday 12 May 2013

The Final Countdown - 4 weeks to go!!!


Gestation: 35 weeks

I'm feeling: Physically? Sore, heavy and tired.
                    Emotionally? Brilliant! I'm very happy and excited right now. I know this is a prime time for starting to get impatient and wishing for the baby to be here NOW, but I'm avoiding that kind of thinking this time around. I think it helps that I'm having an elective c-section, because what actually drives you nuts in the last few weeks is not knowing when things will happen. That anticipation, fear and the feeling that every twinge might be "it" is what makes you incredibly fed up in the later stages.
This time, I'll have an actual delivery date, and if things happen before then, fair dos, but I'm not expecting that! I do get twinges and pains, but I'm more able to write them off as normal pregnancy related aches and pains, whereas the last two times I was back and forth to the hospital every time, and that's not good for you. Lots of hanging around followed by being sent home will drive anyone crazy!
I went to breastfeeding group on friday, and that was awesome. Everyone there is so nice and similar in outlook to me. Lots of babywearing, breastfeeding, cloth nappy using and general supportiveness, it's brilliant and I always leave there full of enthusiasm and excitement. Last time I joined baby groups, most of the other mums were more interested in immaculate houses, designer clothes and training their babies to "behave". There would often be knowing smirks between them if I chatted about natural parenting or picked up my crying child, along with tuts of "You're making a rod for your own back", "You'll regret that when he's older", or my personal favourite, "Put that bloody baby down! He needs to learn that you've got cleaning to do, you can't scrub your bathroom and hold a baby at the same time. Put him down to cry, it'll be the making of him!"
Um, yeah. It's hardly surprising that I didn't exactly fit in there, and my PND meant that I took the comments as a failure and felt pretty awful as a mum. It's no refreshing to meet mums who have the same parenting philosophies as me this time round, coupled with the confidence of being a bit older, knowing what worked for me and being more comfortable with following my own instincts. Feeling extremely positive that this time round, I'll be absolutely fine, and having a social circle of like minded mums makes me even more excited!

I'm eating: Still lots of mango and ice lollies, I'm always hot and thirsty at the moment!

Baby Prep: We got our cot mattress this week, so the cot looks brilliant with bedding on it, instead of a holding pen for baby equipment! Also bought a nappy box and a Mombo feeding pillow, and inspired by the mums at breastfeeding group, I'm going to look into getting some more washable baby wipes and natural baby washes. Might also look into getting some breastfeeding tea as well.

All in all, a brilliant week, and the coming week should be good too! I'm seeing one of the mums from BF group on monday, my pram arrives on tuesday, getting the dog groomed on wednesday, having a day of rest and reading on thursday, and friday is my 36 week scan and consultant appointment, so by next week's blog, I'll have a definite section date, yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment